It’s been quite a while since my last blog post; in fact, this is my first post of 2011, and it is already April! As many of you knew, my last blog post was about our new company, Highlighter. This past five months have been a wild ride of startup madness! Obviously, a lot has happened since my last update, including:
- We successfully completed the TechStars seed incubator program with Highlighter
- Matt, Josh and I moved to Belltown in February to be closer to booming tech scene that is Seattle
- We raised $300,000 as part of our seed round for Highlighter (more on that here)
All of this would not have been possible without TechStars, a program that provides funding and mentorship for startups. Though we had nearly four years of previous business experience and a handful of connections from Unique Blog Designs, it was through our work with TechStars that allowed us to build enough momentum to raise the seed round required to get this new (and much more exciting!) business off the ground.
That said, a lot of hard work, dedication and persistence were also required. Even though the Seattle TechStars program started out with ten (10) companies, only eight (8) of those companies are still in operation – proving that even with great mentorship, hard work, and guidance, there are many difficulties that need to be overcome when starting a new business in the technology space.
Finally, I would like to give a shoutout to the Seattle TechStars companies still in operation, including:
- Deal Co-Op, the best white label software for group buying
- GoMiles, the best way to manage your frequent flyer miles
- ThinkFuse, a startup that is simplifying weekly status reports
- Kinizi, an apartment deal finder
- Giant ThinkWell, a social gaming company focusing on celebrities
- RewardsForce, a startup disrupting the customer loyalty arena
- The Shared Web, a site that allows you to discover the best content based on your friends and interests
- And of course, us – Highlighter
Even though I haven’t had too much time for blogging over the past few months, it is something I definitely want to get back into as it is a good way to keep track of all of the changes and happenings. I’ve found myself reading over old posts just to see what I was up to a few years ago…If anything, a blog is simply a great personal journal for keeping track of one’s life!